Eugene Marathon

Monday, May 4, 2009




I did it! I ran the Eugene marathon yesterday in 4 hours and 16 minutes, with no walk breaks!! Wahoo!! Yes, it was really hard, but I pushed through and completed it. Yay!


Unlike the past two marathons, my legs didn't hit a wall. They actually felt great the entire time, which was amazing. Yes, I was very tired, but they didn't freeze up on me or majorly cramp like in the Orlando marathon last year. So happy about that! I did hit a mental wall at mile 22. I started feeling really sick and really wanted to stop, but I made myself keep on going. That is such a hard thing to do, especially when your body wants to stop so bad. It is interesting, people say to expend 50% for the first 20 miles and 50% for the last 6.2. That is so true. Mentally, you need 50% of your energy to push yourself to that finish line. 

My body started shaking on the last 1/2 mile, but once I rounded the corner and saw the finish line (still too far away!!!), I was able to push through it. Literally, I stopped on the finish line. Wasn't going to run another step! 

I am so proud of myself and Amy (my running partner) for doing this! What an accomplishment! Here are a couple of photos, but they were on a weird setting - so the color is funky. My mom was AMAZING at the race. She probably ran 15 miles as she jumped around to different sections to cheer or run with us. Such a blessing!

Unfortunately, the day ended very poorly when we realized my parent's Prius was stolen during the race. Can you believe it?!?!?! I think we are all still in shock about it. It absolutely blows my mind that someone would think it is ok to do that. My mom's purse was stolen, so that adds a whole other element, but thankfully not too many other valuable things we in it. Hopefully the car will be retrieved and the person brought to justice. We are praying about it a lot and I am really worried about my parents with the entire situation. If you think about it, join me in praying. 

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Way to go, Sarah!! I like the pictures! :) I wish I was there.

We'll chat later about everything else, I hope!

Becky said...

I'll be praying with you, Sarah!

Heather said...

1) CONGRATS!!!

2) I can't believe someone stole your parents' car!!! That is awful!

3) We'll be praying for that whole situation to be resolved... Yikes...

Family of 5 said...

You two are AWESOME! Way to go! And I'm so sorry about your parents car! I will keep them in my prayers! I hope it turns up and not ruined!