Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
I think the verse above was written for me. :) Honestly, if I had a theme verse in the Bible that God constantly speaks to me through and that I try to meditate on, it is Philippians 4:6-7. It helps me immediately put things back into perspective, give things over to God, and feel like I don't have to take on all of the worries by myself. Of course, like anyone, I sometimes forget this verse and the peace that God has promised. I am not really referring to being anxious about giving birth right now, but I guess it could be applied that area in my life as well. :)
Last year when I finally gave control over to God regarding "my timeline" (and we consequently immediately got pregnant), the Holy Spirit really spoke to me through this verse. I was also comforted knowing God's promise that He will provide our daily bread. One of my fears about starting a family was not working - and all that entails. Not having that community, not fulfilling that desire in my heart to teach kids music, and not contributing financially. Justin and I had prayed a lot about this, but I knew it was something that I had to give over to God. Until then, I wouldn't have peace.
I honestly remember when the peace that Philippians 4:7 talks about washed over me and God assured me that once again He would provide my daily bread. I am so quick to become anxious and start trying to "plan" my life. Even when He has shown me over and over and over again how sovereign and faithful He is.
Anyway, lately I have had those anxieties again regarding our switch to one income. This was a decision I made for our family not to work and one that I am very happy with. However, moving from two incomes to 'one income with the government paying for our housing '(last year) to 'one income without that assistance' is a little difficult for my brain to wrap around if I am not relying on God. I know this is a trust issue for me and I know in my heart that God will provide, it is just that my brain tends to get in the way.
I have been working really hard at building a horn studio lately. This will provide the necessary supplemental income for Justin and I, as well as give me interaction with students. It will actually work out really well in our schedule, as Ellie will be able to be with Justin or my mother-in-law (or mom when she can get off work) when I am teaching. Perfect! Unfortunately, building a private studio takes time and patience...something I am not good at! I have been starting to worry about money (again) and become pretty anxious about it. I know it will work out eventually, I just want it now!
In order to combat this anxiety, this verse was once again laid in my heart. Justin and I have been praying diligently about this and trying really hard to trust in God, even when it may make sense to freak out. Guess what, God just answered our prayer and provided our "daily bread" to help us make it through October. This is a MAJOR answer to prayer, as I won't be teaching in October in order to get used to being a mom. :) When we learned of this, both of us were once again amazed at how faithful God is. He promised from the beginning to provide, yet we (and really, that means me!) are so quick to try to take things over ourselves - thinking (for some bizarre reason) that we know better. Anyway, God is good and faithful!
I hope that this can provide some encouragement to someone out there. Sorry it is so long, I just really felt I needed to share it on here today. Have a wonderful day!

8 comments:
Thank you for writing this today, as I do often need encouragement for similar reasons. Thank you!!!
I love your transparency! Thanks! A good challenge to all of us, even though we might be in a different area of life right now. and that very I love too..funny at Women's Discipleship today we did a short study on that very...:) I can't believe your only 7 days away! I will be praying for you! Thank you Lord for what blessings the Lord has given you! Now I'm off to take care of my two lil boys who will NOT take a nap! Sigh...
Sarah, you are such a gift. Thank you.
I'm right there with you on this verse - it can probably partially be "blamed" on mom engraining this into our heads when we would memorize verses before bed. At least that's my theory. It's a good one, though! :) See you SOON!!!!!!!
Such a fantastic verse. It really is one of my faves and a good reminder of how I need to rely on Christ through everything and not be anxious! Thanks for your honesty :)
Sounds like you're handling things well - good post! We all need that reminder. We're crossing the Cascades TOMORROW and will hopefully make it to Portland on Wednesday, your due date. It's quite possible that a week from this very day I will get to see both you and Justin and a BABY GIRL! Yesssssss. :) Hang in there!
Hey there Sarah, I'm so glad you are trusting God. Funny enough, I was sharing a worry with my mom and she said, "what's that verse in Philippians". We had just looked at it in Bible study that morning. Oh how soon we forget what we learn, sigh. I'm proud of you for trusting God and I too am always so amazed at His provision. Now let's just get that baby out :)
Only a few more days left of pregnancy!
And so? Did you make it through the weekend!? If you find extra time on your hands - I've tagged you on my blog...play along if you can!!
Praying for you guys!!
Post a Comment