I just learned that one of my former students was in a tragic car accident and died.
Her name was Alma Garcia and I started her on flute three years ago at Whiteaker Middle School. She never made it to the top band at Whiteaker, but she always had the best attitude and never gave up. She was a very quite kid, but music was a way she expressed herself. She always tried her hardest and last year especially - really started to make a lot of progress on the flute.
Several times last year, Alma told me through letters and poems how much music meant to her. It was a way for her to express herself and find an identity. She even told me that her goal was to become a band director in order to reach students like I did.
Yesterday morning, Alma and her brother were driven to school by their mom when the car hit a patch of black-ice. Alma was injured the most and had a couple of surgeries to try to reduce the swelling of her brain. Unfortunately, none were successful and her parents prayerfully took her off life support today.
Although I am struggling with a bunch of emotions, I am so thankful that a 11-14 year old girl could show me the importance of music and what it meant to her. I am also incredibly thankful that she was a believer and is now in heaven. Her life was taken at too young of an age, but at least she is now in paradise.

1 comments:
Dude...I hate stuff like that. Kids dying...
Post a Comment