7 Days and Counting

Monday, January 7, 2008


In seven days from right now  I will be in the middle of running the Disneyworld Marathon. I signed up for this event last June after my first marathon and have been actively training since September. It will be my first marathon to run alone...well, at least without a running partner since there will be something like 10,000-15,000 other runners. 


Yesterday I confirmed that the marathon begins at 6am - Eastern Time, which of course means 5am for me. When I think about the actual time I will need to get up and be at the starting line, it is not very appealing - however I know the excitement of the day will overrule the exhaustion. This morning I decided to get up at 4:30am to do my very short training run for the day. The good thing is: I did it and didn't just turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. The bad thing: it wasn't easy and I now feel exhausted and my muscles are tired. Yesterdays run wasn't easy either. This stresses me out a little, because it makes me wonder if the actual event will be miserable the whole time. And without a running partner and slew of people there cheering me on like my last event (Justin will be there and I know he will do wonderfully!), I am anxious of how I will fair. I also haven't been sleeping well for the past couple of nights and I think with nerves starting to kick up - will I sleep well before Sunday?

One more dilemma, and for those of you who really know me - you'll understand! On Saturday, Justin and I are planning on spending the day in Disneyworld. I have been so excited for this part until a friend told me yesterday to be careful not to walk too much on Saturday. Oh no!! Justin and I LOVE Disneyland (and presumably Disneyworld) and our goal is always to race around the park and get in as much as possible. We will be paying a lot of money for the tickets and not only do I want to get the most out of them, but I also don't want to let Justin down. 

I know, I know - it will all work out and be wonderful. I will start sleeping better and even if I don't, the momentum from the day will carry me through the 26.2 miles. All of my training has prepared me for this day and it will be great. AND, Justin and I will have a wonderful time at the park on Saturday and my legs will still feel fresh on Sunday.   

It still makes me feel better to put my worries down and so that I don't have to let them swim in my head any longer. Also, this way perhaps I'll get a couple of people praying for me on Sunday! :)  Thanks for supporting me. 

6 comments:

Heather said...

i'm sooooo excited for you!!!

kelsey said...

finishing is really all that matters, not really how well you do, right? so ultimately what it comes down to is that you have a fun time, taking advantage of getting to go to disney world and running a marathon there. so have fun! and i'll add my least favorite mantra people have been telling me my entire life: don't worry about it!! :)

girl said...

Thanks, Kelsey. The only thing is, I am a competitive person just like you. With a marathon, I am just competitive with myself - therefore I have a goal time in my brain that I have a hard time forgetting about. Thanks for your support, though! :)

My least favorite mantra is: "no stress". AHHH!!! It is like nails on a chalkboard! :) ("don't worry about it" is right up there too)

Anonymous said...

Say hello to Mickey Mouse for me!!!

kelsey said...

okay, i totally get the competitive thing. i would be the exact same way, so kick some a$$ out there! (is that a better pep talk???)

girl said...

That's better! Thanks, Kelsey! :)