Reflecting

Monday, September 13, 2010

I just got back from a rehearsal with the adult wind ensemble that I am apart and can't go to bed until I unleash some thoughts that are going through my head. Justin is fast asleep so I thought "Why not let my blogger reader (ahem, you know who you are) hear my thoughts." :) If you're not interested, you won't hurt my feelings...because I will never know. In the mean time, I will pretend like I have a captive audience.

So, rehearsal ended early tonight and I got to talk with the person who took over my band position in Salem three years ago. He's doing great and a friend of mine - so it was fun to catch up. Our conversation began on the topic of the beginning of school year and recruiting 5th graders - which is insane this time of year. Seriously, there is no harder job - at least in that district. Our conversation then morphed into other aspects of the job and relationship with other teachers. There are many positive things about working in that school district and I will never regret my time there, however I am so thankful for the place I am now in life.

Discussing different situations with my friend made me realize what a different person I am now. Obviously, having a child completely changes a person - but I think other life experiences I have had since that time has changed me as well: Justin joining the military, being "active duty" for a year in Florida, completing my masters degree in music education, learning how to be a stay at home mom, and really diving deeper in my relationship with Christ.

Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to look back and see how competitive and cut-throat I was during my first three years of teaching. I pushed my students a great deal and pushed myself even harder. I always strived to put my best effort forward and was constantly "checking" myself against all the other teachers and bands. I insisted on a quality product and hesitated greatly before I trusted anyone else with my students or other ideas. (OK - big disclaimer: I am definitely not saying these things are wrong, I am just recognizing some personal issues that came along with that) Although I believe the district music supervisor in particular cultivated, encouraged, and even demanded these traits with his teachers - I can now look back and recognize the cons that accompany such behavior.

I am so thankful for where I am right now. I've told people this, but when Justin approached me about joining the military - I was supportive, but hesitant. Wait...let me be honest. I was supportive to his face, but on the side I was desperately praying to God for Him to slam this door shut. Thank you, Jesus, for not answering my prayer in the way I thought it should be!!! If Justin had not joined the military, I would probably still be working in the same position with my eyes focused on one goal: being the best band director I can be - regardless. Instead, God had to take me to Florida to get me to take my eyes off that goal and put them on Him. I had to hand over control of my life (I'm still working on that...daily...) and I am a different person. God has transformed me and wants to continue to grow me up in Him if I will give Him the chance. I am so thankful and amazed how much better His plan is than mine, and I laugh when I think of how I thought I had figured out the way my life would be. I don't know where God will lead me from here. As of now, I fully intend to eventually go back to teaching middle school band. I absolutely loved it. Loved the students, loved the subject, loved the age. However, all I know is that right now I need to let go and let God.

Tonight I was given the unique chance to see what my personality may still be like had I not given up the reigns to my life.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, Sarah. Good for you. And thank you for sharing that with your blog reader. :) I really appreciated hearing that and applying that to my own life circumstances as well. I love you!

Anonymous said...

You are very fortunate to be able to gain that insight into your own personality. Not everyone can do that.
Love you,
Jan

Patti said...

Well said friend. God's plans are always so much better. I'm sure Miss Ellie would agree...she was a pretty cool result of God's plan. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, You continue to teach your old Dad. It's funny how kids do that! I love you and really appreciate your insight and maturity. Still, I can hardly wait to see you back in the saddle kicking butt and riding herd over all the other directors!.......Just kidding - Dad

Heather said...

I so agree with this post! God has done drastic things in my attitude these past few months (maybe only 9 months...). Realizing that I am not defined by my job and the success in my job has been a huge change in my worldview. Giving up my HS portion of my job was a big shock to many (who would give up state titles by choice?). Anyway, I am at the place where I am ready to give up my job completely to be a mom. It is completely terrifying to me. We're even considering moving to Sweet Home--even more terrifying! But, the more we get into these scary ideas, the more in tune we feel we are with God's design for us as parents and spouses. Lately, I've been wondering how we even got to where we are in the first place... Anyway, I pray God blesses you and your family in everything you do! And may His will be done in your lives!