So, I just spent 20 minutes disciplining Ellie because she wouldn't wash her hands before we ate lunch (we were going back and forth and back and forth for that long of time). Before you jump on the judgement train and think I am too harsh of a parent, she was repeatedly yelling "no" at me and running away. UGH!! I had to use various methods of disciplining that Justin and I have thoughtfully and prayerfully decided to use - and it just stunk.
Seriously, Ellie, just WASH YOUR HANDS. Or better yet, just don't say "NO!" to me. It isn't hard, I'm not being mean, and it takes literally no time. We do this several times during the day, so it isn't something new. This isn't the time to exert your independence and need to control the situation. Just do it. Period.
Unfortunately, the girl is like her mama - so the longer it took to wash her hands before she ate - the more hungry she became, which only makes the matters worse. It also was prolonging nap time...another instigator for awesome behavior.
I need an instruction manuel for the best way to discipline Ellie. And while we're at it, might as well include tidbits about how to best approach certain situations, her learning style, behavior or actions that will trigger certain behaviors, how to motivate her when she becomes a teenager, how to best communicate with her when she's a teenager, etc. Hmmm, wouldn't that be nice. :)
Kate’s Birthday! 🌻
1 month ago

5 comments:
Inside my head, I'm screaming, "Stop the time!! Don't let Maddie grow a day older!!" Not looking forward to our turn...and I know we're not far...
Oh man, I feel you on this one friend. Emersyn's biggest struggle is when I want to change her diaper or get her dressed after a bath. She just runs away and I tell her she needs to obey, etc. I have swatted her on the bottom a couple times and it actually is effective for her. If I am trying to get out the door (not in like a rushing, I didn't prepare sort of way), I don't have time to implement time outs. Time outs work though for most things, like her favorite naughty thing of pushing in the dishwasher racks when I am trying to load it and touching the laptop keyboard if I am typing. Naughty girl.
This made me laugh, I'm there too!
We have a little stinker on our hands too. We've been going through the book "Growing Kids Gods Way", and feel like it's really helped.
Sounds like you are doing everything right!! I remember one day I asked Lily to take her coat to her room. She flipped and wouldn't do it. It's that will power in her! Oh man it drove me nuts! I was firm, consisten and "disciplined" (i.e. spanked!) too many times to count. And for every time she said no and wouldn't move, I disciplined her. It's so hard when they have an idea in their head and want to see how far they can get! You're doing great though! Just be consistent and try to treat it like a business transaction. Don't let her see your frustration and emotion build-that will just feed into what she's already doing. I know these times can be hard, but consistency now will be worth it for when she's 16!!! Keep it up mama!
Post a Comment