Shamrock 15k Run

Monday, March 16, 2009





Yesterday I ran Portland's Shamrock run. It was a 15k (9.3 miles, but the course was actually 9.6 miles) race, with 4.5 miles going uphill. A little intense, but since I am forced to run hills in Troutdale, it wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. Yay! The weather left much to be desired. It was cold, windy, and very rainy...but again, that is what I am used to running in - especially the wind. I guess I am glad for the hard training runs in those nasty elements. 


My running partner, Amy, and I did well! We averaged an 8:54 mile...which is great! The only thing I was disappointed with was how bed I felt at the end of the run. I was tired and felt a little sick. I think it was more as a result of the pace with the hills, but it is a little unsettling figuring I will be running almost 3 times that distance in less than two months. I am still in awe that I am actually training for this marathon and a little overwhelmed at times - especially right now when I am logging in a bunch of miles. Thankfully, I have an incredibly supportive husband who doesn't make me feel guilty for going out on 3-4 hour runs on the weekend (sounds fun, huh?). I am just taking it one day at a time. 

Here are some fun pictures from yesterday. We broke out our Maclaren stroller for Ellie yesterday. It was the first time we used it and LOVED it! There was  great wind/rain shield to protect her from the elements. She had no idea how nasty it was outside! Then there are some pictures from the race. The one of us running shows exactly how I was feeling at the end of the race. It cracks me up how athletic and hardcore Amy looks...and how I don't look that way. :) Oh well. Then you've got to check out our t-shirts. We have created the "Green Salamandar Running Team" - as a knock off of the hardcore Red Lizard running team based in Portland. I know, it is stupid - but we have fun with it. Our shirts say: Inspired by Kenyans, Powered by Coffee. So true, so true. 

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Way to go, Sarah! You look awesome! I'm so proud of you. :) I thought of you yesterday - Seattle had their own St. Patty's Day run, but to add to our elements, it snowed for a good three 1/2 hours yesterday morning, through the run! Yuck!

Family of 5 said...

WOw you are awesome! I wish I would love running that much! How fun!