Yesterday I came down with a nasty bought of something. At first I thought it was food poisoning, but later learned that there was a nasty virus going around the entire town - so it could have been that as well. Whatever it was - it was nasty, nasty, nasty.
I will spare you the details, but to sum it up: I couldn't keep anything down. Anything. After multiple episodes of this, I decided to call my OB to let them know that I was sick. If I weren't pregnant, I would have just dealt with it and known it would pass. However, I wanted my OB to at least know what was going on since I am 16 1/2 weeks along. The nurse told me about the virus that is going around and told me that the absolute most important thing I need to do for the baby is stay as hydrated as possible. Ok, I'll work on that...
Later on in the evening, after the little bit of liquid I tried to drink came up - I decided to call the advice nurse at the hospital. After explaining my symptoms and that I am pregnant, she told me I need to come in to get an IV fluid. I was too dehydrated and they needed to get fluids in me by by-passing my stomach. By this point in the day, I am looking just lovely - I'll tell you. Wow! I am also feeling wretched and incredibly weak. Thankfully, the hospital wasn't too busy when we arrived (that changed) and my nurse was very nice.
There was one little scare - though: When I told the nurse I was 16 weeks pregnant, she thought we should check the heartbeat. "Alright, " I replied - anxious to hear the heartbeat again. She pulled out the tool that they use to check it (I can't remember what they are called right now), and couldn't find it. At this point, I start getting really nervous. I had had cramping all day, but I just associated it with the stomach virus. Anyway, she said that that particular machine must be broken and went to get another. Guess what? No heartbeat with the other machine as well. She told me that that machine must be broken as well, because they couldn't pick up my heartbeat as well. I wanted to tell her that the reason she couldn't pick up my heartbeat is because it had STOPPED. Both Justin and I were very nervous at this point. I told her at this point, I really need to hear that heartbeat! Thankfully, she recognized this and decided to get the machine from the actual OB department. While she was gone, the doctor came in to diagnosis me and all of that. I told him about the heartbeat thing and he told me to not worry about it. WHAT? How am I not supposed to worry about it?!?! (He was a weird doctor) Finally, the nurse came back in with a "real" heartbeat machine and thankfully she found the baby's heartbeat right away. HUGE sigh of relief! HUGE! After that, I was able to relax and was just happy that I was in there to get more fluids. They took some blood and hooked me up to an IV for a liter of fluid. I was then also given some great anti-nausea medicine that worked like a charm. It is amazing how much better I felt when we left the hospital!
But, our adventures weren't over. When we came home, I resumed my spot on the couch and we watched a movie. Actually Justin watched the movie and I fell asleep. :) Right before I fell asleep, I looked up in the dark room and saw something huge on the wall. My stomach dropped when I realized what it was and I quickly told Justin to turn on the light. Sure enough - the world's LARGEST cockroach decided to join us for the movie. I am not exaggerating - this thing was enormous. By far, the largest cockroach we have ever seen. It seemed like it was the size of my fist, but probably in reality it was "just" the size of a lime or a lemon. AHHHHH!!!!! Thankfully, Justin didn't freak out (so impressed!) and I retrieved our "cockroach cup" (for these occasions) for him. Seriously, we weren't sure if the diameter of the cup was going to be large enough for this thing. After a couple of scares, Justin finally got it and took it outside. Why didn't we rid the earth of that nasty animal (yes, when it is that large - it moves up to the category of animal and not critter)? Because they don't die. Fabulous, I know.
As much as I don't want to know how it got into our house (we have no clue), I am just thankful it didn't come out when Jackie and Mom were here last week. Whew! That would have made it an even larger adventure with some sleepless nights! :)
We are planning on a much less eventful day today and looking forward to it! Oh, and by the way - I am feeling MUCH better this morning.

5 comments:
Yeah, unless you get the specific OB doppler probes, it can be really hard to find the heartbeat. Glad you're feeling better tho!
Thanks, Andrew. I actually thought about you last night was I was hanging out in the ER. It wasn't as glamorous as it is on TV. :)
I'm soooo glad you're feeling better! Sorry about your rough night.
So....the cockroaches are back, eh? Nice. The size of it sounds like the size of the first one I found here in June...Ick.
Well, I am glad that your beloved bacon was NOT the culprit of your illness. How scary at the hospital though, I can very much relate. I get nervous at pretty much every dr. appointment for that reason too. :)
oh sarah!!! i'm so sorry. that just sounds so horrible. we've already had the cockroaches too, but they showed up at our house at least two months ago. we've already been sprayed. make sure you call gmh and you'll get sprayed this week, no problem. at least that is something you can avoid. and by the way, i'm kinda impressed (and grossed out) that you guys don't kill them, you just let them back outside where they can breed more nastiness and cause more trouble!!! "we" (meaning eli) either trap them until they die or kill them right off the bat. yech!!! hope you're feeling better today (and sorry about the novel).
Post a Comment