What a Wonderful Trip!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

I just got back from my amazing 8-day vacation in Oregon. It was SOO much fun to go home, see family, visit, run in 30 degree weather instead of 80, get a Christmas tree with my family, etc. I am now having a difficult time making the transition back to FL, therefore I thought I would write about my trip home.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Justin and I went home for the Thanksgiving holiday. Originally this was not the plan, but my grandparents flew us out to join the family at a reunion to celebrate their 80th Birthdays. The reunion was probably the best one we have had with that family, as I think everyone had just a fantastic time! Unlike other reunions, we stayed in Eugene for this one and just enjoyed un-planned time visiting, playing games, and getting to know each other again. It was wonderful. In addition, this celebration was where I got to present the scrapbook that I have been working on for my grandparents for the past two months. The scrapbook was filled with memories compiled from the eleven grandchildren. It was such a blessing to be able to make it for them and then present it to them at this special event. Another great thing about this event, was that we were able to see my other grandparents as well (my dad's parents). That was such a special treat and we had a wonderful time visiting with them!

Justin and I had to leave Eugene late on Friday night in order to go to Lincoln City to see his parents before Justin left on Saturday night. We both have really looked forward to spending time on the Oregon Coast with his folks and I was especially looking forward to my reunion with Bruce. It was everything we hoped for and more...except it wasn't raining (sorry about that, Bruce). Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our short 20 hour stay at the coast that was full of relaxing, frying a turkey, relaxing, eating a ridiculously good meal, relaxing, and partaking in the annual Prunk tradition of watching "Christmas Vacation" after the meal. I don't think I can quite explain how perfect that day was! To give you an idea...I got to take 2 or 3 naps! :)


Justin had to take a red-eye back to FL on Saturday night in order to ensure his presense in class on Monday morning. Thankfully, there were no hang-ups and he returned to Panama City on time in order to return to class. I got to go to Beaverton to spend some quality time with my parents and it was WONDERFUL!!! How perfect is this? On Sunday after church, Dad and I came home to put up the Christmas lights, Mom and I went on a run in the mid-30 degree - clear sky weather, we then all took naps and relaxed. After the naps, we went up the hill to get Christmas tree, decorated it during the afternoon, went to a wonderful restaurant for dinner, and then came home to watch "Polar Express". Ahhhh...it was perfect!

On Monday, I borrowed the Prunk's car to go to Salem all day. It was like I stepped into my old life for a day - with exception of seeing my old students. I went to Leslie MS in the morning to visit my friend, Danh, and watch him teach. It was so much fun and I loved visiting with him and interacting with hilarious MS kids again. I then went and had just a tremendous visit with my friend, Wendy, followed by a fun and quick trip for some coffee with my former student - Hannah. I then went to Whiteaker (way after school was let out) and visited with my good friend, Bonnie (the orchestra director at Whiteaker). It honestly could not have been a better day! I got to drive back to the Prunk's house in the rain while listening to my favorite radio station. I had a smile on my face the entire time!

On Tuesday, my dad and I got up to go on a short run and then did our traditional walk to starbucks for breakfast. I am telling you, walking through their beautiful neighborhoods on a crisp November morning is wonderful! After breakfast, I joined him on the trip to George Fox Univ. (where he works). While he taught his classes, I took a nap and went in pursuit of finding Christmas gifts (unsuccessful) and then came back to George Fox to play in his Wind Ensemble rehearsal. It was great! That evening, we came home and had another scrumptous meal with mom and relaxing evening.

Then on Wednesday, I had to come back to Florida. Although it is wonderful to be with Justin, Bruno, and my friends again - I really, really miss Oregon. I know that God is teaching me a lot being here and that His Plan is perfect for my life. But I do have to admit that I really wanted to put a hault on all of this and just go back in time to our previous lives after I returned to FL last night. For a girl who loves to be in control and know what is going on, this military life is HARD! Everything keeps on changing on us and at times I wonder if I can maintain sanity. Thankfully, HE is in control. Thankfully, HE is way bigger than me and my life. For that, I am thankful and I just need to continue to trust in Him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tremendous re-cap. I can tell how much this trip meant to you, just by reading about it. Thanks for the pictures you posted too! Those are great!

I love you and think about you always. :)