Today was the Gresham Jazz Run and it went great! Both Justin and I participated. He ran the 5k and I ran the 1/2 marathon with my running partner, Amy. Thankfully Paul (Amy's husband) was gracious enough to watch Ellie along with their three kids. Thanks, Paul!
Both races went well! My race began at 8:30am and was on the Springwater Trail in Gresham - a trail that Amy and I run a lot. However, it veared off the trail for about 6 miles and headed for the hills. I know I said this about my last half marathon, but HOLY COW - there were hills! Specifically, there was a 1.3 mile hill that gained 800 feet in elevation and then some "little" hills after that. Yeah... I actually ran the entire hill, though - unlike most everyone else. It got so steep at places that I was running the same pace as the walkers next to me, however I eventually passed them. Due to a race she is racing next weekend in Detroit, Amy decided to stop and walk - so I went on without her. Consequently, we didn't get to run together. Bummer!
Anyway, after I crested the giant hill, I felt on top of the world! I had just passed a bunch of people, ran the entire thing, and just had some fast people ahead of me! I kept with them (and passed some of them) over the remaining 10 miles and kept a great pace. It actually felt great! When the course got back to the Springwater trail, it became an out and back course. So, eventually I saw the leaders on their way "home." After cheering them on and counting the females, I realized that I was third! Unbelievable!! That was what I needed to pick up my pace a bit and keep going strong. Unfortunately, a woman passed me in the last mile. Honestly, I don't know how she did it, because she was far behind me - but she did nonetheless. I didn't have enough in me to push past her at the end, so I ended up finishing fourth. Overall, I finished in 1:55 (average: 8:50 mile). Not a PR for me, but with the hill - I am very proud of the time. Also, I finished first in my age group and got a gold medal! Yay!!!
Now onto Justin: he did great too, especially for not training at all (I don't understand him...). His race started at 9am, so he was finished by the time I was done and able to cheer me in. Although he didn't train, Justin felt pretty good about his race and ended up getting a silver medal for his age group! HA!!! We were shocked when we heard his name! Nevermind that there were just two people in that category... :) Regardless, I am super proud of him and happy to share the race with him!
Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera...so there are no pictures. Perhaps Justin and I will pose with our medals... Also, I am now sick. UGH! I wasn't feeling good yesterday, but was fine this morning (honestly). An hour after we got home, I have had stomach pains, achiness, and can't eat due to it all. Fun times. I am really hoping it goes away quickly and no one else gets whatever it is!

3 comments:
Thats great Sarah!!! Get well soon!
you didn't have to mention that there were only two in my age group. pssh.
It's only because I love you! :)
Post a Comment