Cascade Half Marathon

Sunday, January 11, 2009











Today I accomplished a goal that I have had since I got pregnant - I completed a half marathon 3 months after Ellie was born! You may think I am crazy, but I really wanted to do this. However, when I got back into running  - I realized it was much more difficult than I expected and pretty much gave up this goal. Thankfully, my awesome friend and running partner, Amy, continued to encourage me on our runs together and I decided to do it. 

The next hurdle was pace.  It has been hard to accept how much slower I am than I used to be, however I have been dealing with it alright. I know it takes time and I have been happy with the progress. However, I was not looking forward to not even getting close to a PR (personal record) on a race. Those are timed and recorded. I know this is pride, but I wanted to do well and not "just finish". Amy and I have been working hard, but not concerned with pacing during our runs. Recently I have finally felt like running is easy again, so I have picked up my training. I was thinking that I would finish today somewhere between 2:05-2:10. That would put me a little under a 10 minute mile, and I was ok with that for this part of my training. But - we ran it in just under 2 hours!!! AMAZING!!! (averaged a 9:10 mile) Both Amy and I have small kids at home (she has three!), so this was an accomplishment for both of us. We were so happy! An awesome thing is that we maintained our pace the entire 13.1 miles. Each mile was virtually the same. That is another awesome accomplishment. 

I am so blessed to have Amy as a friend and running partner. As a joke (kind of), we have decided to create our own running club. We are calling it the Green Salamanders. The joke is that a hard core running group is called the Red Lizards. They have members who went to the Olympics. No way we can compete with that, so we are the Green Salamanders. A running club for the average joe. :)  Our goal is to maintain dry feet (we're only somewhat successful), have fun, and finish with a great cup of coffee.

Here is a picture of us before the race.

8 comments:

kelsey said...

you really are crazy, but a true inspiration as well! i'm glad you did so well!

Anonymous said...

I'm am so very impressed. You go girl!

sharon said...

way to go !! I hope I get there someday ugg.

Aimee said...

Congratulations! It took me about 5 months before I really felt "normal" and certain things weren't incredibly uncomfortable, like trying to stand from a squatting position. Then one day I woke up and everything was back to normal. Whatever normal may be. Good job on setting and attaining an awesome goal!

Amanda @ Life in bloom said...

Way to go, you're amazing!

Acker Family said...

You amaze me and motivate me!! I've slacked a bit in the running department, but i wanna get back on track! Way to go!!!

Heather said...

YAY! I'm so happy for you! :)

Family of 5 said...

YOu are good! You should become a personal trainer and get me into gear! Wow, is all I can say!