We're home, we're happy, and we are in love with our beautiful little girl, Elena Marie. I have posted a bunch of pictures of our first 24 hours with our little sweetheart on the side of my page. Please follow this link to view them.
So here is our story...
As many of you know, we have been very ready to meet our little girl. So ready to begin the next stage of our relationship and so excited to NOT be pregnant! Anyway, I began having contractions on Monday morning at 5 am. I tracked them for an hour and a half, and just when I thought we could call my doctor to ask about them, they stopped. :( I fell back to sleep to wake up to contractions again, but then they stopped after half hour. Justin and I were anxious and ready for them to begin again all day - but had no luck.
However at 7:15pm that evening, the contractions began again...much more intense, longer, and closer together. After tracking them for an hour and a half (and confirming them with my doctor), we headed to the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital and I was finally checked (I was monitored for an hour first), we learned that I was still only dialated 1 cm and 80% effaced. We were told to walk around the hospital for an hour to see if I could progress. Although I was in a lot of pain, Justin's excitement and encouragement got me through that hour long walk - both of us hoping I was making progress. At 12:30am I was checked again only to learn that no progress was made. :( Although my contractions were getting stronger and closer together, they sent us home since I was still only 1 cm and my water had not broken. Feeling frustrated and exhausted, we headed home and went to bed. I knew I wasn't going to sleep (due to the contractions), but didn't have to worry about it for long since my water broke 15 minutes after we got in bed! (BTW - I totally lucked out since my water broke when I was in the bathroom. Score!) I immediately woke Justin back up and we headed back to the hospital. We arrived at 2:3oam and I was now in serious pain.
Once back in the labor and delivery area of the hospital, Justin encouraged and consoled me through the intense contractions. Wow, those were rough! Every "relaxation" technique we learned in our classes were thrown out the window and I was in major survival mode. All I remember is asking for the epidural as soon as I could get it!
Once all the paperwork and bloodwork was complete, I was given the epidural (around 3:45am). My mom arrived right before hand and aided Justin in encouraging my through the contractions and holding my hand through the placement of the epidural. I was surprised with how easy and painless (compared to those darn contractions!!) the epidural was. Soon, I got to watch the monitor track my contractions while I fell asleep relaxed. It was WONDERFUL!!! I will never judge anyone for doing childbirth naturally, but for me - this is the only way to go. It was amazing! I slept for 2 hours and woke up dialated to 10 cm. Perfect.
I waited for an hour so that Ellie could make her way down the birth canal a little further before I began pushing. Once it was time to push, I had a ton of energy and went for it. Well, I had energy for half hour, then it got hard! And it began to hurt again...a lot, but I survived. After an hour, our baby girl entered the world to two crying parents and an encouraging nurse and doctor. Elena Marie entered the world at 8:34am and weighed 7lbs 11.5 oz. She is 21 inches long and has a FULL head of reddish brown hair with some blond highlights. She is beautiful and perfect.
We are soooo happy with our little sweetheart and feel beyond blessed. She is sleeping and feeding well and loves all of the attention that is pored on her from doting parents, grandparents, family, and friends. Really, what could be better? Justin and I are amazed at how much love we immediately felt for her and how much it grows each day. Even though I have been up a lot during the past couple of nights, I actually am excited to be able to hold her again. Who'd have thought being up most of the night would be so satisfying? :)
Anyway, we're home and happy. If you live by us, we would love to introduce our little bundle of joy to you!

10 comments:
I am so happy for you Sarah! I never want to know what it feels like to be in enough to pain to ask for the epidural. I was induced both times and asked for the epidural before the pain even started. Thank goodness for that. :) She's beautiful and you two look so happy.
Yay!! I love the post and I love the new blog! :) Very nice. Loves and kisses to you all!!
Congrats! She is so sweet! Thanks for all the update on how she came into the world! Us mom's love those details! :0) Blessings to you and your new lil family!
Yay Sarah & Justin! Thanks so much for sharing your story and pictures!
Congrats sara and justin!!! She is beautiful
ahh!!! just 7 more weeks now for me!! this makes me so anxious, especially seeing how amazing she is and hearing about what an unbelievable experience it is. i'm so happy for you guys and know how lucky you are too! thanks for the updates and pictures!
she's beautiful! OMG, so much hair!! :) I'm glad to hear the birth went fairly smoothly, although I don't envy you all that driving.. :) what a way to start the day huh? :)
yayyyy!!!!!
Hey Sarah! Your birth story is beautiful and now you totally know what I mean, the epidural's are a GOD send!!! :) So glad everything went well, Ellie is just beautiful and you guys look so happy. I am going out of town in a couple weeks but when I get back, we HAVE to finally get together!! Congrats again!!
Can I just say that I'm in love with her too?! She's BEAUTIFUL! I love her hair! And I love your birthing story! So great to hear how it all went down. I'm glad you got rest and it wasn't so bad for you! I hated getting the epidural! So good for you :)
Congratulations, Sarah VP
Post a Comment