Time-Out Chair

Wednesday, October 13, 2010


Ok, before you jump on the judgement train and think I am mean for posting about my child's discipline on here, give me a second. It will all come full circle and I promise it ends well. :)


On the picture to the left you can view what is now known as the "time-out chair" at our house. A certain 2 year old earns a trip to the chair when she doesn't obey Mama (or daddy - we just have more issues during the day rather than at night). Unfortunately, I am not as consist as I should be, but I'm working on it. I want to raise a daughter who follows directions the first time, not after me asking 50 billion times (which seems to be where I was heading...).

The interesting thing about the time-out chair is that it can move locations without physically moving at all. If needed, the time-out chair can be in the car (as discovered yesterday after leaving a store mid-tantrum) or anywhere else need be. Oh the joys of parenting, right?

Now you have a picture of how my day was yesterday: stressful, draining, and full of discipline. I am still thankful for this, though, because I know that healthy discipline is required as a part of parenting and I am incredibly blessed to be the person to do this during the day.

Skip to today. This morning I was sick. I woke up with a head ache and nausea and ended up having to call Justin to come home and help get Ellie ready so I could get just focus on getting myself ready for bible study (I co-lead a group, so I felt obligated to at least try to go). Halfway through bible study, however, I ended up coming home with fear that I was going to get physically sick at church. No thank you! When I got home, Ellie was a saint. Seriously - she was incredible! Here I was worried that she would be disobedient like yesterday, but instead she followed every instruction immediately. She got a blanket for me as I lied helplessly on the couch, took care of Bruno (letting him in and outside), let me sleep on the couch, and checked in on me by sticking her face in mine, cocking her head, and asking "Mama sick?" :) She also told me when she was "stinky" and gathered all of her diaper changing materials for me to change her nearby. She happily ate the banana, cheese stick, a crackers I provided her for lunch and then easily went down for a nap. I felt so blessed and amazed with how sweet, compassionate, and wonderful she was. I am so in love with my daughter!

Turns out I had food poisoning (Justin felt sick too) and my head ache quickly migrated to a migraine at lunch time. However, after given the opportunity to sleep for 3 hours throughout the morning and afternoon by my daughter, I now feel so much better. Thank you, Jesus, for the blessing of today and help me to remember it the next time we visit the time-out chair!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, Sarah. You are blessed. I hope my adventures with disciplining are as successful as yours! I can't imagine Maddie ever checking in on me to see if I'm feeling sick, and then bringing me her diaper changing materials!!

kelsey said...

Just to make you feel better...we had to graduate from a time out chair because he didn't mind going there at all and wouldn't change his behavior afterward. We now use a time out corner. He has to stand, facing the corner, until we release him and he's quiet. Works like a charm, though I know I'd never get him to behave like Ellie did yesterday!

Patti said...

Food poisoning huh? Darn. I thought baby Prunk was on his/her way. :)

What a little sweetie you have. Toddlers are so sensitive....whenever I am sad or upset, Emersyn is so in tune and sweet, almost angelic. It makes up for those *other* days, ha!

We don't have a time out chair, more of a time out spot at our house. I like the chair idea though.

girl said...

Ha ha, Patti. I made sure to add that Justin was sick too (it's the truth!) just to eliminate those type of suspicions. :)