Yesterday I ran the Portland Marathon. This was my second marathon in 4 months and my third in a year and a half. Needless to say, I am tired, my muscles as DONE, and I won't be running another for at least a couple of years. My body and brain need a break. And, unlike with the Newport Marathon post, I really will keep with this promise. I can hardly move today and my right knee is messed up.
So - how'd it go? Well, it depends if you ask me before or after I found out my "official" time. I'll start with the "before." It went well! Before the race Amy and I decided we would not be running together so that I could really try to keep pace to hit the 4 hour mark. Although this was the plan, this will never be a goal again. No goal will be big enough to overrule running with my running partner. I missed her so much and really could have used her presence and encouragement. Lesson learned.
Here were my goals for the race:
1. Get a PR. Ultimate finish goal: 4:00, but anything under 4:11:30 would be great.
2. Pull out of the mental wall when it hits and overcome the major frustrations related to this from the Newport marathon in June.
3. Master my eating strategy and have no digestive issues. This was a very significant goal, because I seem to always get some form of stomach ache when I race and have had bad issues during this bought of training.
Despite the buckets of rain and wind that accompanied us the entire race (ending half hour after I finished...), I started off strong. I stuck with the 4-hour pacers and enjoyed myself. The pacers were great! They shouted off encouragement and reminded us to stay relaxed. It was like running with a coach. I finished the first half in 1:58 - right on track! At mile 14, the pacers switched out. These new pacers weren't as vocal, which was a little unfortunate - since this is the place in the marathon that you could start using more encouragement. At mile 15, my pace started slipping a bit when we started climbing a hill. I was ok with this, figuring I could catch up. But, at the end of the hill - I truly was ok with letting them go ahead. My quads were starting to really cramp up and I was losing motivation. My choices were: 1. push incredibly hard to catch up and then virtually kill myself to keep up (and possibly not be able to keep up), or 2. be ok with it and pick a pace that felt good. I was glad with my choice and felt proud of myself for mentally allowing myself to adjust my goal. That action right there was very significant, because it allowed me to pull out of the mental wall that I was quickly running into. Hooray!!
Significant Sidenote: My super Garmin running watch went belly-up after the first 20 minutes of the race (I think water got into it). So, I had no clue what my time was. After we had run for over an hour, I asked a girl who I had started with what time we had crossed the starting line since we started in waves and she said 7:10. The thing is, I don't know if she meant 7:10am or 7:10 clock time. (That is the significant piece to how I am dealing with my "official time") Anyway, not having a watch was actually quite freeing. Suddenly, all I had to listen to was my body. I didn't even have the choice to stress about my time, because I had NO idea what it was.
Ok - back to the story. By mile 19, I couldn't see the 4-hour pacers anymore. I was mentally wavering, but after allowing myself to walk at an aid station and drink two glasses of water - I began to pull out. This mental block was actually something I was anxiously anticipating all week I was unable to pull out of it at the Newport race in June. By mile 20, I started getting excited that I had overcome the wall and picked my pace back up. YAY!! Another thing - no stomach issues. Another major YAY!!! In order to keep both of these things positive, I decided to get water at each aid station from this point out and eat a little more. It worked!
The final 6 miles were tough, but basically what you would expect at that point of a race. I survived and ended with a smile on my face. When I crossed the finish line, the race clock said 4:17:22. But, remember what I had told you about my starting time? I figured this meant I finished somewhere between 4:07-4:10. Great! And given how I good I felt, that I had overcome significant issues for me, and that I had ended with a positive attitude - Perfect!!
Then. last night, the official results were posted. Ok, I already know what you're thinking: "it shouldn't matter, Sarah." My "official" time was 4:12. WHAT??? NO!!! I honestly think that it is wrong. I didn't run the second half in 2:14. I know I didn't have a watch and I took some walk breaks, but I also know my pace. I know what it feels like to run different paces, even when I am exhausted. But, what, do I tell a computer it was wrong?
However, I am slowly (veeeery slowly) starting to accept this fact and realize that it just doesn't matter. I am proud of myself. I ran two marathons in 4 months. I ran without my running partner who pushes and encourages me, I ran through the mental wall without stomach issues, and I ran through bad weather for 26.2 miles. That is something to be proud of. What is a couple of minutes anyway? For me, yesterday, it was the difference of ending the race with a smile on my face and a feeling of accomplishment. At that point I didn't know my time and I was proud. I need to cling onto THAT feeling.
On a different note, I had an amazing fan club cheering me on! I love having people on the course - a major benefit of running a big race like Portland. Justin and Ellie were able to come to this race- which was AWESOME! Until last week, we thought Justin wasn't able to come. What a wonderful surprise to learn he could be there!! He did an excellent job of finding me on the course and cheered me on (with Ellie under the rain cover in the stroller). I saw Justin at mile 11.5, mile 20, and the end. Then, my friend Kari and her two awesome kids came to cheer me on as well! Accompanied with amazing signs, they found me at miles 12, 19, 21, and 25. AWESOME! My parents were at the end of the course as well, which always provides major comfort, support, and encouragement!! It is so great to have people recognize the challenge you are trying to overcome and actively work to encourage you along the way. I loved it!!
So, that was my running adventure. I do look forward to my next marathon with Amy for three reasons. 1. we will run it together, 2. we decided yesterday that it will be for enjoyment and no time goal, 3. it won't be for a looooong time. :) Today I am ridiculously sore. There was a lot of downhill on that course, which you may initially think is great, but really it is a giant workout for your quads. Consequently, my quads are torn up today. Yikes! Also, my right knee is really bothering me. Good thing I am taking time off! When I get to exercising again, it will include swimming, yoga, and biking at the gym. No intense high-impact sports for awhile!

2 comments:
I am so very proud of you! And, honestly, jealous of your accomplishments! I can't say that I'm jealous enough to move forward and start training for marathons myself - HA - but, I do find myself wondering what it might possibly feel like to be in that kind of shape to run 2 marathons in 4 short months!! Good grief, girl!! I love you!!
I am so proud of you Sarah! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on but you were in my thoughts all morning as I watched the rain pour down. :( TWO marathons in FOUR months is incredible Sarah.
On another note, I am SO excited for this new chapter of staying home with Emersyn to begin so that I have more time to hang out with YOU!!! Emersyn talks about going to the park with Ellie all the time, so funny!
Post a Comment