I just got back from picking up Bruno at the Multnomah County Animal Shelter. Before I explain the reunion, I want to just say how impressed and thankful I am with the Animal Shelter and those who work there. They truly love and care for animals and took good care of Bruno while we could not. I am forever grateful.
So, to update you on Bruno: Yesterday morning Justin got a call from Multnomah County confirming that Bruno was indeed at the shelter. They had scanned his microchip and got our info from that. Let me tell you, if you have a pet - make sure they are chipped!! It saved Bruno for us! Although we were told Bruno was at the shelter, we had to wait until today at 11am to pick him up. Therefore a day of anxiously waiting followed.
Fast forward to 10:59am today. When I pulled up to the animal shelter my heart was beating so fast anticipating our reunion. It felt similar to when I waited to see Justin after 6-weeks of separation due to military training (but, don't worry - I do love my husband more than my dog) . :) Anyway, when I got out of the car to get Ellie in her stroller, I immediately heard Bruno barking. Out of all those dogs, I knew his bark. It's like a mom knowing her baby's cry. I swear he knew we were there. Bruno never barks. I honestly think he was saying, "Hey!! Hey!! I'm here! Come and get me!" and then, "What took you so long??" Seriously, I immediately teared up and ran into the shelter.
Once inside, I was flustered and had to wait in line, although I arrived when the shelter had opened. (apparently other people were missing their pets too) When I finally got to the front of the line, I told them that I was hear to pick up Bruno. They then had me walk the kennel line to identify him since he had no tags on. I walked in confidently - knowing he was there due to his microchip and the fact that I had just heard him bark. However, I couldn't find him. Panic immediately took over my body and I started quickly telling the employee that I KNOW he's here. Thankfully, I caught sight of him the second time around. He had been outside still looking for us. :)
When Bruno saw me his whole body shook with the wag of his tail. He was SO excited. It immediately took me back to the day we adopted him at the Salem Animal Shelter. While in the kennel, Bruno had done everything possible to get our attention: licking our hands, showing off his goofy grin, walking on his hind legs to follow us as we passed by. :) This was very similar, only this time I did not pass by. I immediately knelt down and embraced my dog.
Bruno got a bath as soon as we got home (he smelled like the shelter...gross) and then proceeded to go to each one of his belongings: his bed, his water/food dish, each bone, "his" backyard, etc. It has been sweet to watch him relax. And he better relax, because this afternoon we're going for a run. :)
So, thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We are so thankful to have our family complete again!

5 comments:
YAY!!!!! Oh, what a sweet post to end such a nerve-wracking ordeal. I love you too, Bruno!! Welcome home!
Your post brought tears to my eyes, Sarah! So glad everyone is back together again!
I am SO happy that Bruno is home safe and sound. What a crazy couple of days you had! Naughty Bruno, you stay close to home now, ya hear! :)
Oh Sarah! I am so thankful you found him, I completely understand having a pet that is a part of the family. I hope your family has many more happy years together :)
oh my goodness! i just got home from vacation to get filled in on this emotional roller coaster i can only imagine. so so so happy you got bruno back safe and sound!
Post a Comment