Race for the Roses

Sunday, April 11, 2010

This morning I ran Portland's Race for the Roses. Despite being sick with a possible ear infection on Saturday, I wanted to run the race. Seriously, when I invest a bunch of time and $50 into something - it will take a lot for me to back out! Anyway, I wasn't too worried about it because Amy and I planned on using the run as a marathon pace workout rather than a race that we aim to get a personal record. And, thankfully, I woke up feeling ok - so I knew I'd be fine.


The goal was to get negative splits. Our plan was to run the first 6.5 miles at a 9:30 pace and the last half at a 9:15 pace. I knew that it would be difficult for us to hold back and maintain this pace, but I figured my health and our determination to run "marathon pace" would hold us back.

Nope.

We ran the first half at 9:10 miles. We held ourselves back and kept trying to get the 9:30's, but were unsuccessful. With adrenaline pumping and seeing where we "should" be, it was difficult to stay slower. At the halfway mark, I suggested we bump it up to a 9 minute pace. That way we would still get negative splits and stay slower than our typical half marathon pace. But, we couldn't do that either. Instead we finished the second half at 8:30 pace.

Now I wish we had just raced the whole thing, because I think I would have earned a personal record (PR). Darn!! It's neat that we went faster than expected, but a little worrisome that we don't know what our marathon pace is. On June 4th we'll be running the Newport Marathon (figuring I can still get in even though it is sold out, AHHH!!!). This will be our fourth marathon each and our goal is to PR. I would loooove to finish in 4 hours, but will be happy with anything under 4:13. However, we need to figure out what pace to run. 26.2 miles isn't something we want to just "go out and see" with, especially since that is recipe for early burnout. Unfortunately, our marathon pace is not what we thought it was. This is a good problem, but something I want to figure out before June 4th. I'd like to go into that event knowing what to expect!

Anyway, I'm happy with the results and even happier that I feel better today. Praise God!!

3 comments:

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Crimany Sarah - that's amazing!!! Nice job! I'm still happy about my 5k...I can't imagine a 1/2 marathon - you're inspiring me. Glad you're feeling better!!

Wendy said...

go girl! I really do wish I could do that, but my body and mind say no. You amaze me.

girl said...

Jessie and Wendy, thank you so much for your too kind words! You both inspire me with how amazingly creative you are. Seriously. :)