Welcome 2010

Friday, January 1, 2010

Whew, can you believe it is 2010?? Wasn't it just Thanksgiving? I swear, I blinked and 6 weeks have flown by. But, a busy 6 weeks it was!! In that period of time, I finished my Masters, we spent a lot of time with family, went to Chicago for the Midwest Band Clinic (it was AWESOME), went to the beach 3 times, and got to spend lots of time with Jackie, Maddie, and Brant (AWESOME!). I looked at our finances yesterday and saw we spent a good deal of money on gas, but it was totally worth it. Nothing beats spending time with the people you love. Nothing.


Now we're onto 2010. I can't believe it! Unfortunately, Justin and I have been faced with an incredibly scary reality that could tremendously impact our lives in 26 days: Oregon Ballot Measure 66 and 67. If these two measures do not pass, Justin will lose his job immediately...in the middle of the school year. The measures would place a tax on people/businesses who make over $250,000/year, lower unemployment tax (OR has one of the highest unemployment rates), and protect schools. Also, it would raise the corporate tax minimum for the first time in 80 years from $10/year to $150/year. Seriously, if that is keeping people from voting YES, I'll give them the $140. That is WAY better than losing the only income we (and hundreds of others) have. The impact these measures will have on the state is staggering. If they don't pass, schools, police, health care, any government funded job will be drastically effected.

The worst part about this (if that isn't bad enough), is that the rich are paying for false advertisement. They are saying if the measures do pass, that people will lose their jobs. FALSE!! If people do a little bit of research, they will recognize this. The scary thing is that people don't research before they vote. Embarrassingly, I am proof of that. Lesson learned.

So, if you read this and know anyone in Oregon. Please, please, please urge them to research and vote YES on measure 66/67. The state depends on it. Our future (education) depends on it!

Until then, we are praying hard and really trying hard not to be anxious. (Philippians 4:6) God will provide, He promises that. He has proven himself sovereign and faithful so many times in our lives and people we love. We are just trying to constantly remind ourselves of His promises and encourage each other. It will be ok, we just have an interesting month ahead.

0 comments: