There are a lot of thoughts going through my head right now and being that this is a journal for me and record keeper, I thought I'd try to make some sense of them here.
Last night Oregon passed Measures 66 and 67. These measures raise the corporate minimum tax and place a tax on families who make more than $250k/year in order to protect education, health care, and state-funded jobs. There are so many issues surrounding these measures, so many lies that have been proclaimed (on both sides), and so many lives affected. I'm not going to go into those, because it's over and done with and that is not what this blog is about. Personally, we were strong proponents of the measures because it protected an education system that was already badly injured last year after the recession. Again, there are SOOOO many issues I could bring up right now, but won't. As a result of the passed measures, school districts will be able to keep the meager budget they have, the large number of students in classrooms won't get even larger, the school district won't have to cut programs and school days, and Justin (along with hundreds of other teachers throughout the state) will be able to keep his job. Praise God!
Although I am so thankful for the passing of these measures, my heart still breaks for those who are negatively affected. I still have friends who will be hurt, and that hurts me. Regardless of my opinions on the issues, it makes me sad that we as a state had to be in this situation. I really hope we recover quickly. One of my prayers this past month was that the effects of these measures wouldn't be nearly as bad as each side was predicting - regardless of the outcome. That is still my prayer.
This past month, especially, God has been teaching me a lot about His provisions and promises. Just this week in women's bible study we were studying God's provision to the Israelites after they exited Egypt. Each morning God would provide manna for His people, however they were only to gather as much as they'd need for that specific day. He did this to prove His provision, power, and faithfulness, but to also test the faithfulness of the Israelites.
Working through the very real possibility that Justin would lose his job (for the third time in 9 months), I had to get beyond fear and place my trust in God. That HE is God. He is who He says He is, He can do what He says He can do, I am who God says I am, I can do all things in Christ, and His Word is alive and active in me. If you haven't gotten to this point in your life yet (although, I am sure you have), this is much easier said than done. Moving beyond fear and into ultimate dependance on Christ is a daily choice, hourly choice, or even a minute by minute choice. I definitely was finding myself in this constant battle. Was I choosing fear of what could happen or was I choosing to trust God's promises regardless of the outcome? As January 26th came closer and closer, this became a very serious battle in my heart, however I KNEW that God would provide. He already has shown me so much in my short life, in our short marriage. Upon reflection, I realized ways God has directed Justin and my path and created an opportunity for dependence on Him:
2003: Figuring out student teaching in Oregon, while getting a degree in Oklahoma. God's provision: amazing student teaching opportunities for both of us within driving distance to our apartment in Wilsonville. Then - God providing us both jobs in the same district. What a blessing!
2004: New jobs. (enough said)
2005: Justin's calling to join the Air National Guard and my releasing this to God.
2006: Justin joining the Guard and me recognizing that this could completely change my plans.
2007: Me quitting my job and learning to "be still", Move to Florida, sale of house falling through, God's provision on one income, Justin getting a job in Gresham without us being in state. (HUGE blessing)
2008: Ellie, Justin's job at Gresham and National Guard, God's provision on one teacher's income.
2009: Justin keeping his job at Gresham HS, when 17 other teachers had the opportunity to take it and 2 almost did.
2010: Measures 66 and 67.
Looking at that list makes me realize how much God has taught me about his faithfulness and provisions. As this wasn't the first chance I had to trust God's promises, I know it won't be my last either. I am so thankful that God provides my daily bread. For now, it is in the form of Justin's income from Gresham-Barlow School District. (praise God!!)
Thanks for listening to the ramblings of my heart. :)

2 comments:
Great post! I think you should write devotionals, Sarah! I had a wonderful, much needed prayer after reading this. So happy to hear that everything has worked out. It's amazing the trials we face in one lifetime and even more amazing how God gets us through them.
I am so thankful for Justin's job!! I love you two so very much!
Post a Comment