My "New" Life

Monday, January 4, 2010

Today is the day I have been anticipating for a long time. Justin has gone back to work. The house is back to "normal." The holiday shopping, eating, decorating, crafting, wrapping, gathering, eating, baking, talking, eating, driving, and craziness is behind us. And, my masters is done.


I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling today. Actually, last night I was kind of dreading it. I was worried I'd be depressed, sad, lonely, or bored. It's now just Ellie and me. No papers to get in the way. No deadlines to stress. No agenda.

However, I have had a great day. I woke up later than I will from now on :), got my run done early (Ellie in the stroller - a definite adventure in the wind today), got to enjoy lunch with Justin at school, went to see if there were any ridiculous clearance Christmas items at Target that I "needed," and am now sitting in a quiet house while Ellie naps. Soon I will do more laundry, make dinner, teach 4 lessons, and head to a rehearsal tonight for a new wind symphony I am joining: The Pacific Crest Wind Symphony. It is a really good adult community ensemble. I am nervous about how I will play, since my chops are definitely not in shape yet, but I am excited to have a challenging musical outlet.

With the playing and teaching opportunities, I am feeding my musical needs. I hope to also help Justin at Gresham HS. That, along with training, church commitments/gatherings, and normal house things like cooking, cleaning, and laundry - I am actually busier than I thought.

Truthfully, this is all a lesson in waiting on God. I am learning (once again) to be content in circumstances that I may not necessarily find contentment in. I am learning to be still, something that is hard for me (surprise, surprise). With the looming election coming up (VOTE YES ON MEASURE 66/67), something that is never far from Justin or my mind, I am learning to trust God in a potential circumstance that may be FAR from what I see as "contentment." However, God will never place us in a circumstance we can't handle with Him. I am choosing to trust Him.

Sorry that this all came back to politics. If you know me, I am not a political person. I leave that to my husband since he is enough politically opinionated for the both of us. However, I am still in shock of the dramatic effects these measures will have on the state if they don't pass. Even more, I am flabbergasted at the greediness and selfishness of the opposing argument. I am then scared when I see the convincing (and misleading) commercials that promote a "no" vote. I just don't understand how people can't value education and public service. The "no" argument claims that the schools just need to manage their money better. HA! Do they have any idea what schools have gone through this past year?? So many teachers have already lost their jobs, school days have been cut, important programs have been demolished. If this doesn't pass, 60+ teachers in the little school district on Gresham/Barlow will lose their jobs. And this is just a small district in the state. That means, potentially hundreds of teachers could lose their jobs mid school year. What state does that put our schools in? Class sizes? Programs? Quality education?

Thanks for letting me vent...on my blog. :) haha. I can't promise this will be the last time, but the more I "talk" about it, the better I feel. So, thanks. All I am doing now is praying people make an educated vote, and then (of course) they vote YES. I am then giving it over to God. He already knows what is going to happen. That gives me comfort and assurance.

That's it, I'm done. :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

well said.

Darin and Tracy Elgersma said...

I'm wishing right now that I lived in OR so I could vote "yes" for you guys. All I can do is assure you that we will be praying over this situation. God is good, and He will provide either way.

Laura Beese said...

Aaron and I are both registered and planning to vote YES. We're with you friend. Are you training for a particular race right now? We just began our training program for the Eugene marathon last Saturday!