Personal Record!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Yesterday I ran the Cascade Half Marathon in Turner, OR with my friend/running partner Amy. This is my third time running this great race and it was nice knowing exactly what to expect. The only thing that was different this year was that there were a lot more participants this year thanks to an article in Runners World. It created some longer lines and logistic issues, but I am sure they will iron those out by next year. More participants is a good problem. :)


So, anyway, I got a PR! I ran the race in 1:52:00 exactly, which is an 8:30 mile. The thing I am most proud of is that I kept that pace the entire time, from mile 1 to mile 13. That is a huge accomplishment for me! I was also happy about how great I felt at the end. I did have to play the usual mind games to keep myself going on those last 2 miles, but that is always expected. Amy found some extra energy at the end and went ahead for the last mile with my encouragement. Unfortunately, I didn't have that extra push, so I kept the same pace and finished strong.

I am very proud of the PR, but it wasn't my best race. I look forward to actually racing with a full night of sleep, a good breakfast, and not feeling exhausted before the run. This weekend I got 12 hours of sleep total. Than, on the way to the race, I ate a scone in the car. Probably not the best decision since it felt like a brick in my stomach the entire race. Oh well, live and learn.

The best part of the day, besides the giant heavenly piece of french toast I gobbled up after we were done, was being able to go to sleep last night feeling proud of a race well run. Justin agreed to get up with Ellie this morning, so I got to sleep for 12 hours! I was out by 8:15pm last night. It was WONDERFUL. And now I get to spend the day with Justin home. I feel like I just won a prize! :)

0 comments: