Steep Learning Curve

Saturday, September 12, 2009

As many of you know, having a baby changes your life. I have learned a lot the past 11-months, however my learning curve has probably been the steepest lately. Here are things I have learned about having a soon-to-be toddler:


* Upon entering a room, survey immediately for any "edible" items. These include rocks, door stops, dog hair, chunks of dirt, small toys, ANYTHING.

* Unless confirmed asleep or in a very contained area, silence is NOT a desirable thing. Almost assuredly it means mischief is being had.

* Stairs = bad for mom, but an addicting, thrilling adventure for baby.

* As soon as you attempt to get one thing done, regardless of how little it may seem, you will be interrupted. (but, that is ok too)

* Avoid restaurants if at all possible. If you must go, bring plenty of food and toys and attend a noisy one. This will make the reliable shrieks and shouts (even happy ones) less embarrassing.

* Dog hair, although gross, is not harmful to a baby's digestive system. (Don't judge me! I vacuum all the time!)

* Trying to maintain a cohesive thought, especially when writing a paper, is impossible while baby is awake.

* Pure bliss is laying a sleeping baby down, having her stay asleep, and exiting the room without her waking up. (Attainable approximately 30% of the time)

* Music can distract a baby from pretty much anything. Although she can hear soft sounds, she loves to put her head inside a brass bell while it is being played... may allude to future problems. :)

* A baby's smile can undo any frustration you may have from any of the above points.

* If you place a baby in a room full of toys with one or two "hidden" non-baby proofed items, they will find those items and avoid the toys.

* 11-month olds think everything is theirs, including the half-chewed sandwich that is inside your mouth. They will then throw a tantrum because you didn't share. This is hilarious, but you must not laugh too hard or you will exasperate the problem.

* As babies get tired, they get more and more clumsy. Frequent clunks and bangs indicate nap time is approaching.

* A baby can shove fist-fulls of food into their mouth without choking. That is an impressive, although stressful thing to watch - especially if you are the mother.

* A bookcase full of books = a challenge to a baby to pull everything off as quickly as possible. Once the books have been restored to their proper place, repeat.

(Please don't take the above as any indications that I don't LOVE being a mom. These are just the things I am learning.)

5 comments:

kelsey said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this list. blake and ellie would totally get along now because it sounds like they enjoy many of the same things! ;o! i think that smile bit rings the truest for me. it's amazing what that smile can do to all my frustrations!

Patti said...

THIS MADE MY DAY!!! I felt like I was reading about my own little monkey!!! I have to say though, I am most impressed about your 30% success rate with putting a sleeping baby down. I have about a 0% rate in that area!!! And that is so funny about the toys, Emersyn has tons of toys downstairs but she chooses to go find a dirty shoe to play with instead. What the heck?!?! I love our girls....they are too sweet. And now when people ask you when you are having another, refer them back to this list!! :)

Becky said...

I don't think you forgot a thing, Sarah! How fun to read that you and I have a very similar life right now. :) Thanks!

Princess Jessie Pants said...

I LOVE your list...& I'm taking notes! :)

joles family said...

Yes! We are right behind you! And the dog hair thing, seriously doesn't matter how much you vaccuum or the length of the dog hair they get everywhere and I have had to shrug it off too! hahaha. SB will also find the item that she is not supposed to play with it and attempt to put it in her mouth! Everything must be tasted first!