First - sorry there are no pictures to accompany this post. Knowing that, you can now decide if it is worth it to still read... :)
Tonight Ellie and I joined Justin at the Gresham HS football game. It sounds silly, but this is something I have looked forward to for a long time. Growing up with a band director father, every Friday night (or so it seemed) during the fall we were at a football game. I loved it! I never actually watched football, but instead danced to the music, played under the bleachers, imitated the dance team or cheerleaders, tried to get the high school kids to give me candy, etc. :) It was awesome! Dad had a marching band (Justin does not), so our primary focus was to watch the half-time performance. I remember on many occasions Mom taking us to the grocery store prior to the game and allowing us to pick out TWO kinds of candy (that's where I get my sugar addiction from). It was awesome. We would then head to Aloha HS in order to catch the half time show.
When I married Justin and knew we would eventually start a family, this Friday night ritual was one I looked forward to doing with our kids. Seriously, the only reason I am sad Justin doesn't have a marching band is because Ellie won't be able to share my fond memories of it I had as a kid. Ellie won't get those, but it is worth it in the long run. And, Justin has a great pep band - so it's all good.
Tonight Ellie and I went to the first half of the game. She performed well: dancing to the music, hanging out on Daddy's shoulders, pointing to the instruments or the field, and for the most part - staying in a good mood even though it was past her bedtime. Not that I want her to grow up faster, but I look forward to her making up little dances to the different songs, finding her favorite HS kids to ask for candy, or imitate the cheerleaders. It makes me happy to help my daughter create some fun memories like I had. :)

3 comments:
Tonight we could hear the football announcer and band from the HS stadium just down the street, totally took me back and made me want to be there! Glad we share a fondness for Friday night football :)
Brittany,
Growing up in Texas, your Friday night football experience was different than mine! I learned that when I went to OU. People "up here" don't understand what "real' football is - at least compared to the Midwest. It is SO different! :) But, good memories all the same!
I too love Friday night football games. What fun I had for so many years growing up attending the games (notice I did not WATCHING the games!)!! Glad you had so much fun with Ellie!
Post a Comment