Happy Birthday, Sweet Ellie

Wednesday, September 30, 2009





Dear Ellie,


I cannot believe that you are one year old today. My, how time flies! The past 24 hours have been a journey down memory lane for me. Almost every hour I reflect on what I was doing a year ago at that time. I can still remember going to the hospital - both your daddy and I were SO excited to meet you for the first time. When we were told to walk around the hospital for an hour since I wasn't dialated enough, I don't think I have ever seen your daddy so excited. I was excited too, but the constant contractions were a strong reminder of what I was about to go through. :) When we were sent home from the hospital at midnight, it took the wind out of our sails a bit. We SO wanted to meet you that night..but you didn't disappoint. :) 15 minutes after we got home, my water broke and we were back in the car! At that point, things went quickly and just 6 hours later you were in my arms.

I still remember when they placed you in my arms. Unbelievable. What an amazing display of God's love for us, that He would trust me with this precious baby girl. Both your daddy and I were crying, amazed at how beautiful you were and how much immediate love suddenly consumed our hearts. Even as a brand new, wrinkley, red newborn - you were beautiful and perfect.

This past year has been whirlwind. I have learned so much from you, but the thing I am most amazed at is how much love I have for you. Each day it gets stronger, even when I don't think I have any more to give. I love watching you discover new things, dance to music, smile a big toothy grin, and snuggle with me each night. Your sweet little voice is music to my ears and your giggle is contagious. You are the light of our lives and we love you more than you'll ever know.

Our wish and prayer for you is that you grow up to be a girl who has a heart after Jesus. We pray that you will learn of His deep love for you at an early age and develop a relationship with Him. We love you more than the world, Ellie, but He loves you even more. It's hard to believe! We pray that your relationship with Him will shine through your actions, words, and decisions. We will always be here for you, every step of the way. Loving you, supporting you, and being your biggest (and loudest) fans! We promise to embarrass you and laugh with you. You have such a fun future ahead! :)

I am sorry that you were sick on your first birthday. Being the sweetheart that you are, you still tried to smile even through the tears of not feeling good. I am glad you enjoyed slurping up your birthday dinner of spaghetti. You sure were so cute! I am also glad you readily consumed your birthday chocolate chip brownie. No amount of sickness will keep you from sugar. You are definitely a product of your parents!

I love you, sweet baby girl. Thank you for the wonderful first year and I look forward to many, many more to come!

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

kelsey said...

what a sweet letter she will always have from her mom for her first birthday. great idea sarah. i loved it. happy birthday ellie!

Jackie said...

That was so endearing and sweet, Sarah. Beautifully written for your beautiful baby girl. Happy Birthday, once more, Ellie! We love you!!!