Our Farm

Wednesday, August 26, 2009





This weekend Justin and I continued to transform our backyard by putting in a farm, otherwise known as planter boxes. :) It was a mighty feat, but we did it in a day and a half. We had to remove the old, bad dirt (yes, dirt can be bad), level it, bring in river rock, build the boxes, bring in lots of potting soil, the bring in pee-gravel. (ha! I am sure that isn't how you spell that, but you get the point...) Anyway, both of our backs hurt when we were done! But, we're so happy with how it looks and so glad to have removed the sore spot in our backyard. Now all we have to do is learn how to grow vegetables.


Ellie was awesome while we worked! She spent a lot of time in her pack n' play, but she was happy. I think she thought it was neat to be outside with us and I thought it was neat to have an area that she was contained. :) I was so, so thankful that she was happy throughout the day and let us work. It made it so much better!

Now all we need to do is build a deck. "We" will do that next summer. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten to mention that when I was over there yesterday. Your farm looks great! That was a good idea putting that pea gravel around the boxes. When it rains, you will be really glad it's there. Love you, Jan

Aimee said...

Check out the Book "Backyard Homestead" and any of the other "Storey" book lines. It will give you the basics for everything you want to know. Good luck! Kevin and I have been growing lots of veggies for a few years now, and I am ready to move on to bigger and better plots of land!

Family of 5 said...

OH it looks so nice! Way to go! WE have lived at our home for 5 years and our back yard still isn't done! :) Sigh...:)