I just posted the following facebook status: put a fork in me, I'm over-done.
That pretty much says it all. I am exhausted. Mentally, physically, emotionally. Bleh.
Today's been a hard day. Ellie woke up complaining and honestly hasn't done much besides that ALL DAY. I am not exaggerating. I have tried to be patient and nonemotional about it, but man - it wears you down.
In addition to her extra-crankiness today, she had to go to the doctors again. We went on Monday to discuss an allergy she is having to 2% milk. I know this will sound weird - but Ellie broke out into an allergic reaction when we switched her from whole to 2% milk. It doesn't make sense, but something caused her serious pain, bad diaper rash, and lots of tears. Of course, once I realized what I assume to be the culprit - I switched her back to whole milk and the problem disappeared. The doctor on Monday suggested we avoid the needle of the allergy test at the moment and wait about 6 months to see if things even out. In the mean time, I could test her with different lowfat diary products to see if a reaction occurred. I liked this opinion and decided to try it out.
However, today we had to return to the doctor. I scheduled the appointment this morning after thinking Ellie may be developing a bladder infection, however on the way to the doctor Ellie broke out into a rash on the left side of her face. So, the appointment turned more into an allergy appointment, but this time with a different doctor. Today's doctor wasn't convinced that we shouldn't get Ellie tested for food allergies. Since this was my initial thought before Monday, I agreed. Maybe this would account for Ellie's rashes, itches, and overall crankiness. So, with Justin there, we agreed to have her blood drawn today for a test.
UGH.
The entire experience was horrible. We basically had to swaddle Ellie with one arm out and Justin had to muscle her down on the table. The nurse kept telling Justin to push down on Ellie's shoulder to try to keep her still, which was traumatic for both of them (probably more Justin than Ellie). Unfortunately, the nurse couldn't hold the vein with the needle. After 5 minutes of torture for all three of us, the nurse asked if we could strap Ellie down and try again on the other arm. Justin immediately refused to both. It was too traumatic. It honestly took a good 15 minutes to calm Ellie down. She was SO upset.
After explaining to the doctor and nurse that we will not be doing another blood test today, we now get to look forward to doing it all again soon. Until the test is drawn, I am supposed to refrain from giving Ellie milk, peanuts, and as much dairy as possible. This is to the girl who basically won't eat anything but cottage cheese and milk.
I honestly don't know what to do. Do I go through the trauma of another test and not give Ellie the main food she enjoys/will eat for a test that will likely come back inconclusive?? The only food allergy reaction that I know of occurred 3 weeks ago when I switched to 2% milk (which still doesn't make sense). The girl does have very sensitive skin, but don't all red-heads?
I would love to put off the test and just not think about it. Maybe, if these are indeed allergies, she will grow out of them. A lot of kids do. But, then again, needles only get harder with age. Should I just get it done now so I can have peace of mind?? Probably.
I would love to hear what you think. Any tricks of the trade? Do you think I should wait? I am all about preventative medicine and taking care of medical needs when they are needed (not putting them off), but I hated seeing my daughter in so much trauma (let alone my husband).

4 comments:
Oh my, what an awful experience! I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation. Like you, I'm all about preventative medicine and not putting things off, but I might consider it in this instance. Have you tried a different brand or organic 2% milk? Maybe it's not the milk, but some of the extras that get in their?? If you do end up doing the test, I think I would beg for a sedative for Ellie, and I genereally would never sedate my kids unless absolutely necessary!
Hi Sarah. I am so sorry you are going through this!!Thank you for sharing... I don't have the answers but this tells me how to pray for you all. I agree with Amanda about trying Organic 2%. But I am gluten and dairy free myself, so I can help you with some substitutes for her. You can try almond, soy or rice milk. Also, if you are wondering about some other snacks or meals that are dairy free I can definitely help.
Ugh, I am SO sorry, how awful!!! We had to hold Emersyn down for her two year old shots and I felt like a terrible person seeing her so scared and traumatized. I'm hoping that you guys can find answers on your own without testing. I wonder if she would drink almond milk or another kind of milk? Organic might be a good option too. Love you friend, hang in there. You are a wonderful woman and mama!!
Grandpa Bruce says Good Daddy for not letting them strap her down & do the other side. Organic was suggested to me. I thought of something else. On several occasions when she was with us and drank all of her whole milk, I have given her skim milk. Never heard anything from you as far as a reaction....? What an awful thing for all of you to go through.
Gramma Jan
Post a Comment