I am struggling with a lot of emotions right now, so I thought I would blog about it. This is one of those entries that is for my benefit more than anything else.
Umm..I am ready for this recession to be over, done with, gone, a distant memory. Last night I learned of three friends (band directors) who lost their jobs, two more who might, and then a school district that is irresponsibly using their money AFTER firing 20 teachers (in the same day, no exaggeration...Renyolds SD).
My heart is so heavy.
We got lucky. That's all there is too it. Justin was able to keep his job, had people fight hard to keep him there, but ultimately - we got lucky. I firmly believe that God would have provided something else for us if he had lost it, but it isn't because we have some "magic genie" that he got to keep it. This could have been us. It could be anyone. I am shocked to learn of the teachers who are losing their jobs. When is it going to stop? This is our future that we are dealing with. Is anyone thinking of that? I feel like the nation is investing in the wrong stuff right now. "They" are only looking 5 years ahead instead of 20. What will todays first graders be like in 20 years with no music or PE experience in schools? Having been in classes with 40 other students with teachers who may not be as qualified, but get to keep their jobs as a result of seniority. They aren't getting exposure to different activities because clubs, sports, and the arts are being slashed as a result of being seen as "extra". Huh?? It is those activities that SHAPE a human, help them discover their personality, interests, and strengths. Very few people are motivated to come to school for math classes...
I believe in education. I believe in music education. It is the reason I am getting my masters in it. I know this will all pass, but it sure makes me wonder if I am wasting my time.
I really hope that we have bottomed out and things start turning around soon. I keep thinking that perhaps some of these principals will recognize the massive mistake they are making by firing these teachers and stop. But, I know it isn't the principals fault. I just really, really, really hope that the motives are in the right place behind these decisions. I hope that the people who are having to make these decisions aren't able to sleep at night out of anguish for the families and students lives they are effecting. I hope the nation starts looking to our FUTURE: preserving education. Come on, America!

3 comments:
It is heart aching to hear of all the job losses lately...I will be lifting your friends up in prayer even though I don't know who they are! And we just need to continue praying for the choices that our government makes!
I so agree with you! It's scary what is considered priorities now days...
Agreed! I understand the seniority thing, but QUALITY educators are losing their jobs--and that just doesn't seem right. We are fortunate to still have our jobs, too... for now...
Post a Comment