That's right, I pulled the "first time mom" card today and took Ellie to the doctors office. I was pretty sure I knew what they were going to tell me - that she has a cold and there is nothing I can do to fix it, but I wanted to hear the doctor say it. I decided the co-pay and hour of my time was worth knowing for certain that she wasn't sicker than appeared. And sure enough, I was right. Ellie has a cold, but it isn't going into her ears or chest - which are very good things.
All week Ellie has hardly slept at night. It has been horrible! At first I was sure it was a growth spurt. Eating every three hours at night and at least that frequently during the day - I felt like I was on constant demand. Not as flattering as you might think. :) However, on Wednesday night (or actually Thursday early morning) her cries started turning into more painful cries (accompanying the hunger cries). At this point I started hearing how congested she was. Poor baby! Thankfully, her demeanor during the day has been happy - so that is a huge blessing. I wasn't able to take her into the doctors yesterday, but had her sleep with a humidifier last night. I am pretty sure that was the golden ticket - because she FINALLY slept through the night again. Of course, I didn't sleep that great - always anticipating her to start crying, but I slept a heck of a lot better than I have all week. Honestly, the amount of sleep I got last night was almost equal to the amount I got Sunday-Wednesday nights. I was really beyond exhausted. I decided to still take her into the doctors today, because she sounded worse this morning than she has - despite sleeping all night and the humidifier. All I can wonder is how she would have sounded (or how much I would have been up with her) if I hadn't used the humidifier.
Wow...you really didn't care about any of that. Oh well, I guess that's what you get for reading a "first time mom's" blog. :) Time for me to get studying. I need to take advantage of sicky-Ellie being asleep!

6 comments:
I'm glad you took her to the doctor and it's "only" a cold. I hope the nights continue to improve for you and Ellie.
Jan
Glad to hear it, Sarah. I prayed for you last night. Trust those instincts of yours - they are yours for your daughter, for a very good reason. :) love you!
Awww, first baby cold! One day you'll look back and smile!
I STILL use that first time mom card! Sometimes you just need to know your child is ok. I took Lily once because I thought she had an ear infection. She only had 1 small symptom of one, but I just wanted to be sure before it gets worse! Don't worry-go to the doctor, that's why they are there :) I'm glad you got some sleep! Hopefully she'll get to feeling better quickly!
Who cares about the whole first time mom thing! I call the doctor's office ALL THE TIME for random things, and she's only been actually sick once:) And yay for her (and you) getting some more rest, those times are tough!
sorry she has been so sick that is never fun when a newbie baby is sick I think you did the right thing I mean you never know right?
Post a Comment