Grad School?

Thursday, August 23, 2007


It is the question that I have been debating since I found out that we would be moving to Florida, and once again it has come up. My goal is to get a masters of music education. Of course, I would love to go to some big college, take up residence, and soak up an excellence education. However, that plan does not fit into our lives - and I am OK with that. Now the debate is whether I should get an online degree with Boston University or wait and get my degree through a summer program offered by Southern Oregon Univ. called American Band College (ABC). There are positive and negatives to both.

I am beginning to think that Boston University is the way to go. I heavily considered this last spring, but changed my mind after dreaming of going back to OU to get my masters. I now realize that that will not happen, due to the fact that I don't want to stop teaching and accure LOADS of debt in order to go back to school. And even though in my dreams it is this way, getting a masters degree will not be the same as getting a bachelors degree. Finally, although we could probably get him transfered if we really wanted to - Justin's military base that he is assigned to work at every month is on the Oregon Coast (near Seaside and Astoria).

So, like I mentioned, I am beginning to heavily consider Boston University. Some things that I am really excited about this are: the curriculum looks very interesting and mentally stimulating, the class load would be light enough for me to be free next year in order to volunteer or get a job, it would give me something to do in Florida, I would be able to devote all of my energy to studying at least through half of the program, and I would have close to half of my masters degree finished by the time we arrived back in Oregon (big bonus!). Reasons I am considering ABC is that Justin will probably be doing the same degree and although it is short (2 weeks of classes and then projects throughout the year - total of 3 years) - I would be interacting with people and getting a more "hands-on" education. These are definite positives, however I am leaning much more toward Boston Univ. Some negatives about Boston Univ. are that I am still a little weary of an online degree, I don't know the professors (my original reason for ditching the idea), and it is expensive.

So there you go - now you know exactly what has been bouncing around in my head for the past 12 hours. :) I am actually VERY excited about the possibility of starting my degree and am actively praying about it. If you have any input, please feel free to comment or email me. I am interested to know other people's opinions on this.

(By the way - the picture is of Justin and I in Innsbruck, Austria. I just thought it captured my mood of pursuing a masters degree. Besides, it is fun to look at postings with pictures attached!)

0 comments: