8 Years Ago...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

On my way to work today I listened to a recording of my senior horn recital for reference to a piece a student is working on. It was such an interesting experience. At first I was amazed and proud at the quality. I spent a lot of time preparing for that recital and it was awesome hearing my hard work paid off. But then I started thinking about the girl who I was listening to and the experience dove to a much level deeper.


The girl who was playing on my stereo was 21 years old. Although the recital indicated the finale of one portion of her life, it also signified the beginning of another. Justin had just proposed two months earlier, so I was busy preparing for a wedding at the same time as the recital. I remember being a little stressed about that. :)

The girl who was playing in my stereo knew she was soon stepping out onto adventure with beginning a career, but had no clue how difficult and rewarding teaching middle school students music would be. She had no idea she would land a job in the same district as her husband and be there for only three years.

The girl who was playing in my stereo definitely had no clue she'd move to Florida after her third year of teaching to follow her husband's decision to join the military. And she DEFINITELY had no clue her husband would be deployed eight years later.

The girl who was playing amazingly beautiful phrases had no clue that she'd be singing sweet melodies to her daughter six years later and also have a sweet baby on the way.

What a trip life is! I would change nothing about my life. God is growing me, stretching me, and teaching me with each step and for that I am thankful. Things are definitely difficult right now, but I know Justin and I will both be stronger in the end. God is faithful and will protect Justin and our marriage. I just "get" to trust. :)

Anyway, it was so fun thinking about the girl who was playing her senior recital, remembering the emotions and thrill of that time, and then reflecting about where I am now.

6 comments:

kelsey said...

it's funny, isn't it, that how we envision our lives isn't necessarily what God has in mind for us. this has me thinking about my life eight years ago too and where i thought i'd be. thanks for sharing. hope things are okay with justin gone. been thinking about you a lot lately.

Anonymous said...

That girl is quite a woman now. To be admired and loved. And we love you, Jan

Tana said...

I remember that night! You were amazing! Thank you for inviting me to perform with you when there were so many sopranos that blew me out of the water. I really miss you so much and I think about you so often, I wish we were on the same stupid time zone!! I wish we were in the same state or city! I love my sweet best friend and I am thinking about you a lot!!!

Patti said...

This made me cry because I can relate on so many levels, minus the french horn playing of course. :) God's plans are so far greater then anything I could have dreamed up....

Praying for you often during the day friend, God is good and faithful!

Jackie said...

The woman listening to that girl in the stereo is my amazing, talented, sincere, loving, trusting, determined, funny, sweet, beautiful, vivacious, caring, sensitive and strong sister.

Heather said...

Sarah, you are an incredible woman. With a beautiful family. And an awesome God!