Wiggle Worm

Friday, November 7, 2008

So, I am not sure if I should admit this on the blog, but along with a little scary - it is kind of funny. So don't judge me! :)


I am still working on figuring out Ellie's sleep/eating schedule. My mom asked me what my goal is and truthfully - it is for her to sleep through the night. I know she is still young, but that is my ultimate goal (of course). I know I post a lot on here about that right now, it is because it is what is on my mind. An eight hour stretch of sleep seems like the absolute BEST thing in the world right now. So, that's my goal. :)

Anyway, yesterday was an interesting day for Ellie's non-schedule because I was at George Fox all afternoon teaching. Ellie had a fantastic time with her grandparents, but was very hungry after a long trip home as a result of fun Portland rush-hour traffic. Therefore, her feeding routine got a little off from what we are used to. Oh well, go with it - right? When I began feeding her for the last time around 9:30pm, I figured she would be up at 1:30am for another feeding. This has been her pattern. After tightly swaddling her up and putting her in her crib, I resorted to bed for my 3 hours of sleep - waiting for the screams from the baby monitor to wake me up. 

At 3:10am, I glanced at the clock and was shocked to see what time it was. My first thought was "oh my gosh, maybe she is actually starting to sleep more, " that is until I glanced at the baby monitor that was indicating screams however no sound was coming out. AHH!! I jumped out of bed and ran into her room quicker than I thought possible for that time of morning. What did I find? A diaper-only Ellie on one side of her crib and her blankets and nighty still perfectly swaddled on the other. How did that happen?!?! I was shocked! She must have wiggled her way out of that swaddle AND her nightgown  - with it making it look like nothing had happened - except it was missing a baby. It was crazy. Of course, I then felt horrible that she probably had been crying for an hour or two. Oops...

After feeding her, putting her back to bed, and checking that stupid baby monitor to make sure I could hear her, I went back to sleep. A wonderful thing then happened - Ellie slept for four hours. That hasn't happened. It has been four hours from the start of one feed to the start of the next - resulting in 3 (or so) hours of sleep. I was SO happy! So, I actually got out of bed this morning (and am not going back) at 8am. Yay!

Hopefully tonight we can repeat the sleep pattern without the crazy naked baby stuff! :)

6 comments:

Amanda @ Life in bloom said...

That's awesome that she slept so long! And don't worry about the monitor thing, I've done it before too. One time I woke up at 10am (never ever ever is normal for us!), and was thinking, "wow, I can't believe she's still sleeping!" but then I looked at the monitor and she was totally awake, just hanging out! She had most likely been there at least 2-3 hrs...... I always turn it up really loud now :)

Jackie said...

HA HA HA!!!! That is totally adorable!! I can only imagine the scare you had, but in retrospect, how awesome!! :) I love the story. :)

Becky said...

That is SO funny Sarah! I've totally done the same thing. Thanks for sharing that story! :) I'm so happy that you got more sleep last night!!!!

Patti said...

Oh my gosh, that is crazy that she got out of her pajamas!!! Yay for the extended sleep friend. It will happen gradually. Emersyn is sleeping 7+ hours now and it was just something she decided to do when it was time I guess.

Family of 5 said...

That is a great little story! And how great that she slept for that long! It's a start!

Acker Family said...

Unbelievable! That's amazing she could do that! The good thing is, she's fine and will not remember that event :) You are a great mom!