Newport Marathon

Monday, June 7, 2010

This past Saturday I ran the Newport Marathon with my friend/running partner, Amy. For both of us, this was our fourth marathon (second one together) and we had been training for it since February. For the first time we followed one of Bart Yasso's training plans which gave us very high mileage throughout the weeks with significant track and hill workouts, in addition to the long runs on the weekends. Therefore, for the last month before we began tapering, we were putting in close to 50 miles per week.

As a result, we were both very curious to know how the race would go. The training was brutal... er, I mean "intense" and I wanted to see results! My goal was to finish around the 4 hour mark, but ultimately - I wanted a PR, which meant I had to finish under 4:13.

Going into the race, I felt good and relaxed. I had been nursing an injury on my left leg for a month and have had a cold for the past week and a half, but besides that - I felt great. (and, really, at this stage of life - I recognize I am never going to go into a race or long run feeling well rested and completely healthy. I don't think those things coincide with raising a toddler!) Anyway, I was pumped, excited, and ready to see how the training would pay off.

Saturday, June 5th, turned out to the be the first sunny day we've had in Oregon in what seems like a lifetime. The sun was out early and stayed late, which normally would be awesome, but my body wasn't used to being zapped of energy as a result of seeing sun! (if you're an Oregonian, you totally understand this right now!!) The race started great. The first 15 miles were a breeze and we averaged a 9:10 minute mile. The next 3 miles were a little more difficult as my body started recognizing the sun more and I needed more hydration, however - I maintained about a 9:18 minute mile. At mile 18 I ate another GU pack (this is an energy gel pack that is similar consistency to a pack of pudding) and immediately started having a stomach ache. Although I trained this way, my stomach decided reacted to the GU. For the next mile and a half, my body adjusted to the GU pack and worked through the stomach ache, however by this point my brain took over.

If you've ever experienced a long, intense endurance activity (similar to giving birth), you know that it is as much mental as it is physical. Unfortunately, I had a huge mental breakdown at mile 19 and started focusing on how tired I was, how much I wanted to walk, how long the remainder 7 miles were, how my stomach hurt, how hot it was, etc. UGH!! My pace started slipping to a 9:30-9:40 pace. Amy stuck back with me and encouraged me along the way. At mile 21, I told her I wanted to walk. She (thankfully) told me, "I know, but you're not going to." Given the mental state I was in, I really wanted to throw some snappy remark right back at her, but ultimately I knew she was right, that I would keep going, and was thankful for her encouragement and faith in me. By mile 21, I finally convinced her to run ahead without me. I wanted/needed to slow down and I really wanted her to finish strong. She reluctantly went ahead and I finally was able to relax and focus on chipping off the remaining 4 miles. At this point, I decided to walk at every water station in order to dump water on my head and drink a glass or two and slow down my pace to about a 10:20. Once I reached mile 25.5, I looked up and saw my mom ahead - coming to find me. It was wonderful! She cheered me onto the finish and ran along side. She kept shouting things like, "You can do it!" and "you're looking strong!" Honestly, I think everyone around me at that point really appreciated the pep talk. At mile 26 of this particular race, you crest a hill and get to enjoy a 0.2 downhill race to the finish. When I crested the hill and saw (and heard) Justin, my sister, dad, Ellie, and Amy's family cheering me on - it gave me the energy to finish strong. In fact, I ended up beating the woman who was ahead of me to the finish line. :) My official finish time was about 4:11:30.

I am really happy about getting PR, however I am having a very difficult time shaking the feeling of disappointment and feeling that I gave up too easily. I know this sounds silly, but when you work for something for so long and truly prepare for the mental battle, it is hard to admit defeat. Amy finished strong at 4:08 and I am so, so proud of her. She felt awesome at the end and probably would have finished quicker had she not stayed back with me when I started slowing down at mile 19. Oh well, she's an awesome friend and felt that sticking by me was more important than a PR.

I'm not sure when I'm going to run another marathon. I was planning on doing one in October, but am not going to sign up yet. At the end of the race, I admitted that that may have been my last race. I was so frustrated for hitting that mental wall!! 26.2 miles is a long distance and you never know what will happen. There is only so much you can plan/train for.

Anyway, I am proud of my accomplishment and proud of my new PR. It was a beautiful day and a very well organized race. Who knows, maybe I'll do it again sometime. :)

Amy and I before the race.

Wahoo! Lookin' good at mile 3!

Racing down to the finish line. The smile on my face is because I just spotted and heard my family cheering me on!

I am draining every last ounce of energy out of my muscles to beat the lady in the blue to the finish line. (and I did!)

This isn't the greatest picture of me, but it shows the true exhaustion I was feeling. The look on my face is, "wow, praise God that is done!", "I am so, so tired" and "I want to sit NOW!"

Downing half a bottle of Gateorade in one gulp.
"I did it!"

4 comments:

kelsey said...

GOOD JOB!!!! i just told my sister to read this post because she is training for her first marathon and i thought it would be enlightening/beneficial. thanks for taking us on your long journey. you are amazing!

Erin said...

It's funny, no matter what level you get to, I think you forget sometimes how amazing it is that you've gotten where you are. My top distance so far is 5 miles and already, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And yet, if you had told me a few years ago that I would be able to run 5 miles without stopping I would not have believed you! Don't forget how awesome it is that you can do what you did. There is a very small percentage of the world's population that can say they've run a marathon EVER! You did GREAT!

Jackie said...

Wahoo!!!!! :) I'm so proud of you and was thrilled to be able to cheer you on at the finish line!!! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm so jealous. I can't wait to be done with being pregnant and get back to running. Glad you were able to PR-the higher mileage paid off in the end.
Leanne