Big Girl Transition

Saturday, March 19, 2011






The other day Ellie's beloved binky broke. I've been thinking of transitioning off the binky for awhile, however given how essential this sleep aid is for her and the current events in our family's life, I figured now may not be the time. Maybe this summer when we're all together again, but before the baby is born? However, this must not have come at a very sympathetic time for me, because I decided to look at the broken binky as an opportunity to move on from these glorious plugs. I haven't been sleeping well anyway, so it wasn't like I would lose more sleep.


That night was rough. Poor girl was NOT pleased with my decision. However, we made it and she was awarded with her promised "special treat" (a new baby doll) in the morning. (She still struggles a little, but the transition is actually going better than expected.)

But why stop there? We're working on potty training, binky is now gone, what else can I change? The crib! The morning after our first binky-less night, my parents came by to drop off their dogs for a week. I had a list of "to-do" things for my dad :) and one included transitioning the crib to a toddler bed. I bought special M.innie M.ouse bedding for her big girl bed, we made a HUGE deal about it, and I told Ellie to call me when she was up - no just getting out of bed. (hey, there is a reason she was in that crib for awhile, I need my sleep too!)

Last night was our first night as a "true" big girl. I have to admit, I was pretty aware of her little noises. I wasn't worried that she'd fall out of the bed, but adding the no-binky had potential problems. She did wake up a couple of times and had a difficult time going to sleep, but we made it. I loved how my one friend put it: Doing both things at once is like creating the perfect storm rather than having 2 weeks of drizzle. :) I'll take it. So far, we are weathering the storm alright.

Lucky Justin, he's going to come home to a potty trained, binky-less, crib-less big girl!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Congratulations, you two! (And by two I'm talking about Sarah and Ellie, not Justin). I am terrified at the thought of Maddie being in a big girl bed...good thing she is 9 months behind Ellie, so I don't have to think about it yet. I love the bedding you bought! :)

Amanda @ Life in bloom said...

Way to go Mama!!!

(I didn't think I was ever going to give up the crib for Addison....and I don't want to give it up for Kylie either!!)

Patti said...

I didn't want to tell Emersyn not to get out of her bed because I felt like it would plant the idea in her head, ha! We'll see how that works out for me in the morning. Yay for our big girls!!